Nunhems Onion Santire is a short-day hybrid onion variety that is bred for high yield and quality. It has a very high bulb uniformity, with round to oval bulbs that are 6-8 cm in diameter. The bulbs are white in color and have a mild, sweet flavor. Santire is a good choice for both fresh market and processing purposes.
- Very high yield
- High bulb uniformity
- Round to oval bulbs
- 6-8 cm in diameter
- White in color
- Mild, sweet flavor
- Good for fresh market and processing
- Farmers can expect high yields with Santire.
- The bulbs are uniform in size and shape, which makes them easy to pack and ship.
- The white color and mild flavor make Santire a good choice for both fresh market and processing purposes.
- Santire is a relatively disease-resistant variety, which can help to reduce crop losses.
How to grow Santire onions:
- Santire onions are a short-day variety, which means that they need a certain number of hours of daylight in order to flower and set bulbs. The ideal number of daylight hours for Santire onions is 10-12 hours.
- Santire onions can be planted in the spring or fall. In the spring, plant the seeds 2-3 weeks before the last frost. In the fall, plant the seeds 6-8 weeks before the first frost.
- Santire onions prefer well-drained soil that is rich in organic matter. Amend the soil with compost or manure before planting.
- Space the plants 10-12 inches apart.
- Water the plants regularly, especially during the hot summer months.
- Fertilize the plants every 2-3 weeks with a balanced fertilizer.
- Harvest the onions when the tops have fallen over and the necks have started to turn brown.