Biostimulants for plants are natural or synthetic substances that can be applied to seeds, plants, and soil. They cause changes in vital and structural processes in order to influence plant growth through improved tolerance to abiotic stresses and increase seed and/or grain yield and quality. In addition, biostimulants reduce the need for fertilizers.
Common biostimulants include:
- Humic and fulvic acids. These acids occur naturally in soils as a result of the breakdown of organic matter. They improve soil structure and nutrient availability.
- Protein hydrolysates. These are broken-down proteins that contain amino acids and other essential nutrients. They can be applied to plants to improve growth and development.
- Seaweed and plant extracts. These extracts contain a variety of hormones, vitamins, and minerals that can benefit plants.
- Chitosan and other biopolymers. These substances can stimulate plant growth and development, and improve resistance to pests and diseases.
- Inorganic compounds. Some inorganic compounds, such as silicon and phosphorus, can be used as biostimulants.
- Beneficial microbes. Microorganisms such as mycorrhizal fungi and rhizobacteria can improve plant nutrient uptake and tolerance to abiotic stress.
Benefits of using biostimulants
Biostimulants can offer a number of benefits to plants, including:
- Increased crop yield and quality
- Improved nutrient uptake and use efficiency
- Enhanced tolerance to abiotic stresses such as drought, salinity, and heat
- Reduced need for fertilizers and pesticides
- Improved soil health
How to use biostimulants
Biostimulants can be applied to plants in a variety of ways, including foliar spraying, soil application, and seed treatment. The specific application method will depend on the type of biostimulant being used. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for application rates and frequency.
Biostimulants are a promising tool for improving plant growth and development, increasing crop yield and quality, and reducing the need for fertilizers and pesticides. They are a sustainable and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional agricultural inputs.
- Increased crop yield and quality: Biostimulants can help plants to grow larger and produce more fruit, vegetables, and flowers. They can also improve the quality of produce by increasing the sugar content, color, and flavor.
- Improved nutrient uptake and use efficiency: Biostimulants can help plants to take up nutrients from the soil more efficiently. This can lead to increased crop yields and improved plant health.
- Enhanced tolerance to abiotic stresses: Biostimulants can help plants to tolerate abiotic stresses such as drought, salinity, heat, and cold. This can be beneficial in areas where these stresses are common.
- Reduced need for fertilizers and pesticides: Biostimulants can help plants to grow healthier and more resilient, which can reduce the need for fertilizers and pesticides.
- Improved soil health: Biostimulants can help to improve soil health by increasing the number of beneficial microorganisms in the soil. This can lead to improved nutrient availability and plant growth.
In addition to these advantages, biostimulants are also generally considered to be safe for the environment and human health. They are a sustainable and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional agricultural inputs.
Here are some specific examples of the advantages of using biostimulants for plants:
- A study on wheat crops found that biostimulant treatment increased grain yield by up to 20%.
- Another study on tomato crops found that biostimulant treatment improved fruit size and color.
- A third study on citrus crops found that biostimulant treatment increased fruit yield and reduced the incidence of pests and diseases.
Overall, biostimulants offer a number of advantages over traditional agricultural inputs. They can help to increase crop yield and quality, improve nutrient uptake and use efficiency, enhance tolerance to abiotic stresses, reduce the need for fertilizers and pesticides, and improve soil health. Biostimulants are a sustainable and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional agricultural inputs.
When purchasing biostimulants online, it is important to read the product description carefully to ensure that the product is right for your needs. It is also important to check the reviews of the product to see what other customers have said about it.
Here are some tips for purchasing biostimulants online:
- Compare prices from different retailers. Biostimulants can vary in price from retailer to retailer. It is important to compare prices before making a purchase.
- Read the product description carefully. Make sure that the product is right for your needs and that it is compatible with the type of plants you are growing.
- Check the reviews of the product. See what other customers have said about the product before making a purchase.
- Make sure that the retailer is reputable. Read reviews of the retailer to see what other customers have said about their experience.
Once you have purchased biostimulants online, be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for use. This will help you to get the best results from the product.